Configuring ArchLinux for Mixxx with Controller

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Configuring ArchLinux for Mixxx with Controller

Postby ravingjerk » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:31 pm

Dear Mixxx community,

I am currently seeking for a guide on how to configure my ArchLinux in a Mixxx compatible way.
So far I played a bit around and used either ALSA or JACK, however with the restriction of being able to use only one soundcard.

1) What is the best for a low latency-time of my MIDI-controller (Numark Mixtrack Platinum) with integrated soundcard? Is it needed to go get a realtime kernel and is this safe? (My maximum latency seems to be around 40-50 ms usually.)

2) Is it possible to use two soundcards at the same time with either JACK or ALSA?
I am planning on guiding the Mixxx Master and Headphone output via JACK to the soundcard of my controller, while using another external soundcard to record and broadcast the master output of my controller with another application, for instance audacity or butt.

Is 2) feasible?

Best regards,
Lars
ravingjerk

Re: Configuring ArchLinux for Mixxx with Controller

Postby ravingjerk » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:37 am

For 2) I am now using the solution of using the tools alsa_in and alsa_out. Works pretty well and seems easy and straightforward.

With 1) I didn't deal with yet...
ravingjerk

Re: Configuring ArchLinux for Mixxx with Controller

Postby ish4269 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:43 am

For 1)
Have a read of http://jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html

You don't need an RT kernel just setup RT scheduling with your current kernel.

Also, I have setup the below alias

pasuspender -- jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:1 -r 48000 -p 206 & sleep 10; alsa_out -j internal -d hw:0 &

which gives me a latency of ~5.3ms
ish4269

Return to General Discussion