Mixxx 2.2 beta released

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Mixxx 2.2 beta released

Postby Be. » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:26 pm

Mixxx 2.2 beta brings a few new features. Since we are now releasing Mixxx more often, the changes are not as big as between Mixxx 2.0 and Mixxx 2.1. Download it!

In Mixxx 2.2, we are switching from Qt 4 to Qt 5. Qt is the toolkit that allows us to write one Mixxx application that runs on Linux, macOS, and Windows. For users, the most noticable difference from this will be improved support for scaling the graphical user interface (GUI) for high pixel density (high DPI) screens. The scaling we used with Qt 4 in Mixxx 2.1 scaled most parts of the GUI, but some small parts like the arrows on menus and widgets in the preferences did not scale. Now with Qt 5, everything scales automatically according to the operating system scaling settings.

We have added a new button to the effects units that adds a new mode for mixing effects. Previously, the mix knob always crossfaded between the dry signal (input to the first effect) and wet signal (output of the last effect). This is now called Dry/Wet mode and is the default. The new Dry+Wet mode always keeps the dry signal at full volume and the mix knob controls how much of the wet signal is added. This allows for adding sounds with effects without modifying the underlying track. For example, with the effect unit in Dry+Wet mode, you can load an equalizer or filter effect before the Echo effect to remove bass frequencies from the echoed signal without removing the bass from the track.

Mixxx 2.2 introduces initial support for LV2 sound effects plugins. Many GNU/Linux distributions package LV2 effects plugins that can be installed separately from Mixxx. Because many LV2 plugins are not useful for DJing, you must explicitly enable plugins in the Effects section of the preferences before you can load them in the Mixxx main window. Currently there is no way to show the GUI for LV2 plugins in Mixxx. While LV2 effects are technically cross-platform, in practice there are very few LV2 plugins that are distributed for macOS and Windows. Mixxx 2.2 has LV2 support enabled for GNU/Linux and macOS, but not for Windows.

There are a few new options in the Waveform preferences. One option allows you to adjust the opacity of the beatgrid lines. The other allows you to adjust where the currently playing position is in the waveform. For example, if you do not want to use screen space for parts of the track that have already played, you can move the play position to the left.

As always, please report bugs on our bug tracker. We can only fix problems that we know about.

Have fun mixing!
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Re: Mixxx 2.2 beta released

Postby Be. » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Warnings about some bugs we know about:

We have had several reports of the GUI freezing but the audio keeps playing. In some reports, the GUI stays frozen; in others, it responds again after a while. No one who has reported this has been able to figure out how to reproduce it reliably. Any hints on how to reproduce these bugs would be greatly appreciated!
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/1789059
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/1791510
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/1743266

Mouse input is laggy with knob widgets on macOS:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/1793015

The complete list of known 2.2 bugs is on Launchpad.

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby Hanginon » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:40 am

Nice write-up by Dan White @DJTECHTOOLS about MIXXX 2.2 Beta. However, here's the exact comment I posted -

"From as far back as 2010 (maybe earlier) you can find requests for the ability to "name" Cue Points or Hot Cues in the Mixxx Forum, as well as official postings to the Wishlist.
It is almost 2019. Faster releases?? The secret to building a good house is, before you add the bells and whistles, you put it on a solid foundation."

His comments on moving from QT4 to QT5, the BOLD emphasis is mine -
"Mixxx upgrading to the new version of the Qt toolkit and allowing the operating system to scale the software’s interface to the native resolution shows how much easier something can be in a small team or project. Scaling is different from just magnifying a GUI – which is what a lot of non-Retina/high density display software does."

You guys (gals?) have done a terrific job with MIXXX. However, if what Mr. White says is true, why does it take seemingly forever to get really important changes implemented, that are very important to live DJ'ing, such as labeling of Cue's, or a column in the library for a color selection box (like Mixvibes or Serato)??

Perhaps my comments seem unfair, but I am sure far more users of Mixxx would appreciate the ability to label hot cues than to have a retina display friendly program, especially since we were asking for the former before the later even existed!
Hanginon

Postby Be. » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:52 am

Of course, that would be a great feature to have. While there is no corporate bureaucracy dictating arbitrary sales deadlines on this small team, having a small team means that there is only so much labor available. To add a new feature, someone has to volunteer to do the work, which in this case would be quite a lot of work to design an intuitive user interface. If anyone wants to volunteer to work on that feature, please do!

To clarify, the switch to Qt5 happened because Qt4 has been obsolete for many years. The last version of Qt4 was released in December 2011. It is so old that the next stable release of Debian will not have Qt4 or any packages that require it. So if we did not switch to Qt5, Mixxx would become obsolete. Better scaling for high pixel density screens is a nice benefit that comes with Qt5.

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby pi r squared » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:14 pm

The power to label hotcues is already present, so I assume you're talking about the ability to see those named labels in the user interface? You can label them through the Right-click > Track Properties menu:

It might not take a lot of work to implement since the labelling is already there, but you can understand that one person's "important" is another person's "low priority". It would be impossible to implement what every single user deems as important, because it varies so much and as Be. says, it's a small team of voluntary developers. Should implementing labelled cuepoints take priority over fixing a high importance bug? Should it take priority over developing the effects system or the library interface?

Ultimately, it needn't take forever to implement because it's open-source software. You are always welcome to fork the code and add the feature yourself :) If not, though, please do have patience with the dev team whose definitions of "very important" may differ from yours.
pi r squared

Postby userman » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:41 pm

The MIXXX program is constantly improving lately and this I see, and this is a good trend. Especially for those who mikuset on Linux OS, like me.
But there is one thing that I would like to point out as a significant flaw in this program. This is SKRATCH.

Before I switched from Windows to Linux, I used Virtual DJ as the main program. Although the sound in Windows from my point of view is inferior to the sound in Linux. Nevertheless, I want to acknowledge the fact that it is more convenient to do SKRATCH and SKRATCH samples in the hip-hop genre on Virtual DJ than on MIXXX.

It's all about the sound. On Virutal DJ Scratch looked more natural and similar to Scratch with vinyl.
In the MIXXX program you need to try hard to achieve such a sound.

I want the developers to pay attention to such an important aspect.
userman

Postby oldskoolbob » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:52 am

i`ve never had a problem scratching in mixxx. The sound engine sounds as good as serato pro.

I did mess around with the scratch script in java though.
I changed some settings to match my numark mixtrack pro jogwheels.

engine.scratchEnable(deck, 600, 33+1/3, 0.5/4, (0.5/4)/28);

sometimes it can be a bit too fast for your jogwheel and it may need fine tuning.

Just yesterday I compared the new serato pro with mixxx 2.2 and the sound is very close to serato when scratching.

You may have to mess around with javascript to get a good scratch engine sound.
Best
Rob
oldskoolbob

Postby paulus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:06 am

you can load an equalizer or filter effect before the Echo effect to remove bass frequencies from the echoed signal without removing the bass from the track

This is fantastic. Thank you Mixxx team!
paulus

Postby Hanginon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:12 pm

This has almost always come down to the Catch 22 of "those who DJ usually don't know how to code (well)" and "those who code usually don't know how to DJ (well)". This disconnect causes some real head scratching moments in all DJ software, not just MIXXX.

I DJ, and frankly have no idea how to code or program. However, an ask like the ability to have a column than can accept color codes is hugely important.

This ask came in 2013 - https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx/+bug/1100882 - and subsequently the coding was already started, but apparently ceased because the developer didn't want to sign the "Contributers Agreement".

Given that, and given that it also may be as simple as duplicating, and them altering, the code for the Album Covers column, someone who's good at this can't do it? I'd freely give up the whole Album Covers column to have this.
Hanginon

Postby dg3nec » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:56 pm

The buildserver does not build windows versions in moment.
dg3nec

Next

Return to General Discussion