Stand-alone player using mixxx

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Re: Stand-alone player using mixxx

Postby pedroqueirosrod » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:23 am

daschuer wrote:I am not too pessimistic for your project.

We are also working on an mpris interface, that would allow to handle some track and library operations.

Does your use case involve the whole Mixxx library, or just some tracks from a jump drive? The later is supported, but there might be some work to have this Rock solid on an embedded device.

Daniel

The whole Mixxx library is probably overkill for start a simple player, unless if the player could have a bigger storage or load the songs from a network shared folder or a server. Recognize and load from a Usb Flash or SD card is probably the most practical way to use.

Do you know if there are any way to trigger Mixxx to show automatically the Usb storage folder when someone plugs an Usb device?
pedroqueirosrod

Postby Mixxx MIxxxermannn » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:14 am

I think a proper lcd screen is required for a modern dj media player. The panda looks pretty good at first glance.

How should jogwheel actions be performed?

building on the denon dual deck in a singel box model, I am curious about a stand alone player having 4 decks. The last 2 could be sample decks, or maybe a drum machine or dedicated fx control section.

I am also curious about the option to use an external sound card. Enough dj mixers have usb connections. Otherwise, users can pick the low or high end sound card that they can afford. Even a lowly behringer would probably be better than the internal supplied with a single board pc
Mixxx MIxxxermannn

Postby pedroqueirosrod » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:11 am

Mixxx MIxxxermannn wrote:I think a proper lcd screen is required for a modern dj media player. The panda looks pretty good at first glance.

I have done projects with the Panda and the display and the touch panel is good. I will try to run mixxx with it to see if the touch panel have good response.

Mixxx MIxxxermannn wrote:How should jogwheel actions be performed?

What actions? How it is implemented?

I think the best way to control it is using one mcu like arduino or the stm32 "bluepill". For the jogwheel / plate I think the best way is using some sort of optical encoder + encoder wheel.

Mixxx MIxxxermannn wrote:building on the denon dual deck in a singel box model, I am curious about a stand alone player having 4 decks. The last 2 could be sample decks, or maybe a drum machine or dedicated fx control section.

I am also curious about the option to use an external sound card. Enough dj mixers have usb connections. Otherwise, users can pick the low or high end sound card that they can afford. Even a lowly behringer would probably be better than the internal supplied with a single board pc

From what i see in mixxx, as long as we connect a 4 / 8 Channel Audio interface it is doable. There are some Codec IC's in the market with standard USB protocol that can be used.
pedroqueirosrod

Previous

Return to General Discussion