How many songs....

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

How many songs....

Postby kcuhC » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:17 am

Ok, this is a very general question...so I understand that...but wondering how many songs can you store in the Mixxx library on a reasonable PC and be able to search, etc. reasonably fast...again, I KNOW actual mileage may vary...but I'm curious who has a lot of music and can speak to it's performance. For example, if I had 150,000 songs on an Intel I7...if I were to search for some music...would it be about as fast as if I had 10,000? MUCH Slower, etc.? I'm sure there's no "limit" to what Mixxx can technically store, so that is NOT my question.

Thanks!
kcuhC

Re: How many songs....

Postby Be. » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:36 am

Unfortunately, due to major flaws in the design of the database code, Mixxx probably wouldn't perform very well with 150,000 songs. Using features that access the database like typing in the search bar would be slow and could hang the GUI for a second or two, although the audio should play fine.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby kcuhC » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Thanks for the quick reply I appreciate the
kcuhC

Postby TechnoMan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:48 am

Why do anybody need 150 000 songs at the same time?
TechnoMan

Postby Mixxx MIxxxermannn » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:33 am

Open format djs taking requests could possibly get up that high. I have about 20k and that only covers a sliver of what is out there in the genres I would play.

Consider that quite a few vinyl DJs have amassed over 20k records, each with multiple songs per record, and those collections were still somewhat genre selective. Someone running a radio station could easily dwarf that
Mixxx MIxxxermannn

Return to General Discussion