Mixxx 2.1 released

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Re: Mixxx 2.1 released

Postby Michael Z Freeman » Tue May 01, 2018 8:51 am

It's great now with the FX being so good. The only thing I could not find in the UI is minimise the music library. There is only "maximise". Minimise would give more room for people who use FX/Mic/Aux/Samplers, and, anyway, I usually just drag tracks from my file manager on to Mixxx. Maybe that can be written into the skin now it's more customisable/scaleable, I don't know.
"I heard the sound of the Universe vibrating as one harmonious force." ... Previously "djbarney".
Michael Z Freeman

Postby JosepMa » Thu May 03, 2018 6:17 pm

@Dubfiance: If you use 4 decks, I believe the current setup actually gives more space to the library, not less (And obviously, you can adjust the height of the waveforms).

As for being able to change the design, that's not possible right now, although there are plans to make skins slightly more adaptable in the future.
If you really need it, right now you would need to edit the xml files of the skin itself to adapt it to your needs.

@Michael Z Freeman: I'm not sure if I follow you. The library uses as much free space as it is left from other controls. There's no "more room" to be had, other than redesigning the skin to be something else.
JosepMa

Postby Michael Z Freeman » Thu May 03, 2018 8:10 pm

JosepMa wrote:@Michael Z Freeman: I'm not sure if I follow you. The library uses as much free space as it is left from other controls. There's no "more room" to be had, other than redesigning the skin to be something else.

Naw, it's OK. I just had not found the drag bar in the new layout. Pull it down and library disappears.
"I heard the sound of the Universe vibrating as one harmonious force." ... Previously "djbarney".
Michael Z Freeman

Postby zog » Sun May 06, 2018 3:48 am

The Mixxx 2.1 release just passed my "acid test" of playing at a mates birthday party with zero issues, thanks everyone!
zog

Postby Michael Z Freeman » Sun May 06, 2018 10:05 am

Mixxx kicks ass.
Michael Z Freeman

Postby bunda3d » Sun May 20, 2018 4:14 am

This is a huge improvement! Great job everyone! Thank you!

Also, I was concerned that I would lose my settings, customizations and custom files, etc., since I run Windows and you have to uninstall Mixxx to upgrade to Mixxx 2.1. So I spent a bunch of time making copies of the appdata folder, screenshots of preference settings, etc.

But I didn't need to. Mixxx 2.1 installed and found all my settings and mp3s and everything else and I didn't have to change a thing. FYI to anyone who is similarly concerned--unless you're moving to a different computer with different login path (C:Users\newComputerUserName\etc.), the new install should find everything.

Thanks again!
bunda3d

Postby Louigi Verona » Mon May 28, 2018 7:59 am

What about installing on Linux? Can I have both versions installed alongside each other?
Louigi Verona

Postby Be. » Mon May 28, 2018 11:48 am

That depends on how you install them. Most distributions' package managers do not allow installing two versions of the same package at the same time. If you have any concerns about upgrading, I recommend backing up your ~/.mixxx folder before upgrading.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby Be. » Mon May 28, 2018 11:52 am

tapir wrote:My default config for 1-beat echo out:
- set the time parameter to a single beat (12 o'clock)
- set ping pong to 0 (default)
- set feedback to approximately 2 o'clock (default?)
- set send to full on (linked to meta by default, you can adjust this easily)
- set dry/wet mix of the effect unit to full wet (turn right)

Keep the effect disabled, until
- slightly before the last beat enable the effect by clicking the button (alternatively you can keep the effect enabled and use the meta/send knob for activation)
- on the following 1st beat slam down the line fader
Easy. You only need one free hand for this routine.

While this will work, I would not recommend getting used to it. It will not work well if you want to put Echo in a chain with other effects. Although putting Echo and Reverb in chains is not very useful in 2.1 in most cases because of the way effects are mixed, it will matter more in 2.2. Instead I recommend using the effect unit's dry/wet knob.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby Berfs1 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:36 am

Ah I knew there was something up with the BPMs!!! I was trying to play Blocboy Look Alive on the bus lol couldn't get those loops right since the BPM was messed up. Anyhow, I made a custom skin and I'm happy that it still works perfectly fine with Mixxx 2.1!!! Oh about the loops, in 2.1, the standard Late Night skin as I understand was revamped, but I think y'all need to put the buttons back since I really enjoyed holding right click on them and having the muted loop! Anyways, amazing job Mixxx team, really appreciate the update! And, if y'all need any help with the coding, just let me know and maybe I can help out a bit or two!
-Berfs1
Berfs1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion