Mixxx 2.1 released

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Re: Mixxx 2.1 released. Trouble with IDDJ's rotary wheel

Postby pfelts » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:22 pm

I'm using Mixxx 2.1.1-Pre (build 2.1 r6688) with my ION Discover DJ. I'm running the script by Rick Prokup (I haven't found a newer script). Mixxx 2.1.1 seems to have trouble with the IDDJ's rotary wheel (for library track selection). Mixxx 2.1.1 does not seem to be able to distinguish up (counterclockwise) rotation from down (clockwise) rotation on the rotary wheel. Mixxx 2.1.0 beta worked with the IDDJ's rotary wheel and the Rick Prokup script. I have tried using Mixxx's Learning Mode, but the issue remains. Thanks.
pfelts

Re: Mixxx 2.1 released

Postby Michael Z Freeman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:55 pm

tapir wrote:And please try beat-synchronized Echo out with post-fader effects. Big thanks to @Be for making this real!

I was looking for that. Where do I set FX as post fader so that echo continues and slowly fades away after turning off the FX ? At the moment everything just cuts it off sharply.
"I heard the sound of the Universe vibrating as one harmonious force." ... Previously "djbarney".
Michael Z Freeman

Postby Be. » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:19 pm

There is no setting to toggle between prefader and postfader. Effects are always processed both postfader for the master output and prefader for the headphone output. The new Effects chapter of the manual has more details. To hear a smooth echo tail, lower the deck fader while keeping the Echo effect enabled. If you turn the Echo effect off, its output will stop abruptly. For the smoothest echo out, turn the dry/wet knob of the effect unit left (fully dry), enable the Echo effect, turn up its metaknob (or Send parameter if you changed the default metaknob linking), and lower the deck fader as you raise the dry/wet knob. Moving the deck fader and the dry/wet knob simultaneously requires using two hands with a controller that has both of those mapped.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby tapir » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:43 pm

My default config for 1-beat echo out:
- set the time parameter to a single beat (12 o'clock)
- set ping pong to 0 (default)
- set feedback to approximately 2 o'clock (default?)
- set send to full on (linked to meta by default, you can adjust this easily)
- set dry/wet mix of the effect unit to full wet (turn right)

Keep the effect disabled, until
- slightly before the last beat enable the effect by clicking the button (alternatively you can keep the effect enabled and use the meta/send knob for activation)
- on the following 1st beat slam down the line fader
Easy. You only need one free hand for this routine.
Last edited by tapir on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Postby dogo77 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:14 pm

THANK YOU!!!
archlinux x86_64 · mixxx1.11 · american audio vms4
dogo77

Postby tapir » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:55 pm

My previous post might be a good candidate for a short video tutorial. Whoever likes to do this ;)
tapir
Mixxx Developer

Postby Kafuzke » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 pm

A lot of nice features in the new version. BigThanks to the Team.
Kafuzke

Postby Michael Z Freeman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Another thing. Why can't Mixxx see Cockos ReaRoute ASIO ? I'm seeing some references on the forum to a bug in portaudio for this, but that was from 2009. My other music applications CAN see ReaRoute. AFAIK it's just another ASIO driver.

Be. wrote:There is no setting to toggle between prefader and postfader. Effects are always processed both postfader for the master output and prefader for the headphone output. The new Effects chapter of the manual has more details. To hear a smooth echo tail, lower the deck fader while keeping the Echo effect enabled. If you turn the Echo effect off, its output will stop abruptly. For the smoothest echo out, turn the dry/wet knob of the effect unit left (fully dry), enable the Echo effect, turn up its metaknob (or Send parameter if you changed the default metaknob linking), and lower the deck fader as you raise the dry/wet knob. Moving the deck fader and the dry/wet knob simultaneously requires using two hands with a controller that has both of those mapped.

Thanks ! So obvious once you get it !

tapir wrote:My default config for 1-beat echo out:
- set the time parameter to a single beat (12 o'clock)
- set ping pong to 0 (default)
- set feedback to approximately 2 o'clock (default?)
- set send to full on (linked to meta by default, you can adjust this easily)
- set dry/wet mix of the effect unit to full wet (turn right)

Keep the effect disabled, until
- slightly before the last beat enable the effect by clicking the button (alternatively you can keep the effect enabled and use the meta/send knob for activation)
- on the following 1st beat slam down the line fader
Easy. You only need one free hand for this routine.

Cheers. I'll try this :mrgreen:
"I heard the sound of the Universe vibrating as one harmonious force." ... Previously "djbarney".
Michael Z Freeman

Postby wiejay » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:35 pm

Wowee yea! I work with Mixxx since over 3 years - and version2.0 was really, really good - but this upgrade is a big step!
Awesome! BIG THANX!!!

So mixxx is more "electro/techno-optimized" and got more feautures. Great.
About the skin-design i recognized, that my favourite skin "latenight" is little different (and smaller) than before.
If i am honest: the skin before i liked little bit more: it was brighter to see and more intuitive.

Could you bring the old "latenight" back (as an extra-option) in 2.2 !?

Otherway: i would like to have a "zoom-funktion" of the player and mixer-section!
It would be great if it's possible to change the size of the players/mixer a little bit more manually (by mouse).
So everybody could choose and use it's desired individual size...

It would be great to see this in coming versions of Mixxx.

THANK YOU for your soooo good work!

It's so wonder-full to see what happens in open-source-Linux-World and Multimedia the last years:

Programs like Ardour, Bitwig Studio and Mixxx, LV2-Plugins, VST3 and A/V-Distros like Ubuntu Studio, KXStudio, QStudio64,...given the user all possibilities and stability to be creative and making high-quality productions and/or just having a lot of fun!

I love Linux! ;)
----------------------------
using: Linux Mint 17.3, MATE, 64bit, Ardour5, Bitwig Studio 1.6, Mixxx 2.1
with http://qianastudio.tumblr.com
wiejay

Postby Dubfiance » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:06 pm

I just got the update... is there any way I could move the waveform display above the EQ and move the buttons from the very bottom to the top like how it was in 2.0.0? I don't like how much extra space it's using being at the very top and it just seems a little cluttered to me...

(I use the 4 deck with LateNight skin)

Other than that I'm glad to see this program get updates.
Dubfiance

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion