Recommendation for crossfader technique

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Recommendation for crossfader technique

Postby 3x5 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:01 am

This is more a general mixing question than even a Mixx-related one, possibly. I noticed that in the settings, I can change the curve of my crossfader. I've been using and additive curve, setting it so it's a perfect triangle. This means both channels are 100% volume when the fader is in the middle.

This isn't a great technique because it's overpowering in the mix, and then when I finally fade the song over you've lost a lot of volume. I will tweak the EQ to make the transition a little better, but I'm guessing there's an ideal 'sweet spot' in the curve where you can keep the volume up and still clearly hear the track that's fading in/out.

Maybe the trick is to switch to constant power, and make sure there's a very narrow valley in the middle of the fader, then always try to have the fader biased to one side or the other when blending. I don't know for sure, though. I'm curious to know what your recommendations are.
3x5

Re: Recommendation for crossfader technique

Postby davidb2002 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:03 pm

For track fades, I would use the volume faders. I only use cross faders for quick cutoffs and scratching therefore I go for power setting for crisp, sharp cutoffs.
davidb2002

Return to General Discussion