General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

Re: Pioneer DJM-250 MK2

Postby Grogan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:40 pm

mixxx2point0_asioDJMsetting utility.jpg
What happens when I open Mixxx.
mixxx2point0_asioDJMsetting utility.jpg (236.01 KiB) Viewed 823 times
rekordbox_setting_utility.jpg
When Rekordbox is open. DVS control works too.
rekordbox_setting_utility.jpg (485.51 KiB) Viewed 823 times
Grogan

Postby Be. » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:16 pm

The only explanation I can think of for that is that Pioneer imposes an artificial limitation of what software the phono inputs will work with to coerce you into using Rekordbox. :( The fine print on page 21 of Pioneer's manual says the phono inputs:

Can be used with compatible software. The audio data is output with the same volume at which it is input to this unit, regardless of the [USB Output Level] setting.

I would assume that "compatible software" means just that -- any software that can interpret control vinyl. Unfortunately it seems that by "compatible software", they actually mean "only software we approve". There is no technical reason this doesn't work with Mixxx. Sorry for recommending this to you, but there is no way anyone could have anticipated this before someone tried it. It is just Pioneer trying to stifle competition. You could complain to Pioneer, but I wouldn't expect much from them other than a dismissal saying they only support Rekordbox. Hopefully the retail distributor you got it from will give you a refund.

I am not sure how this artificial limitation is imposed. I'd presume that Rekordbox sends a special signal to the driver or to the mixer to tell it to send the phono inputs to software. For someone experienced with analyzing USB traffic, I suspect it would be pretty easy to reverse engineer that and trick it into working with Mixxx or any other software.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby Be. » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:19 pm

If you're lucky, the USB sound card built into the mixer is actually USB Audio Class compliant and this artificial restriction is done by the driver instead of the mixer. If that is the case, it might work to uninstall Pioneer's driver and use a different sound API. I think WDM-KS works with USB Audio Class compliant devices.
I heard FLAC and I haven't gone back.
Protect your hearing with earplugs!

Hear my mixes
Be.
Mixxx Developer

Postby Grogan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:43 pm

Be. wrote:If you're lucky, the USB sound card built into the mixer is actually USB Audio Class compliant and this artificial restriction is done by the driver instead of the mixer. If that is the case, it might work to uninstall Pioneer's driver and use a different sound API. I think WDM-KS works with USB Audio Class compliant devices.

Tried it, the mixer did not show. Another one of Be's Busts, LOL.
Be. wrote:The only explanation I can think of for that is that Pioneer imposes an artificial limitation of what software the phono inputs will work with to coerce you into using Rekordbox. :( The fine print on page 21 of Pioneer's manual says the phono inputs:

Can be used with compatible software. The audio data is output with the same volume at which it is input to this unit, regardless of the [USB Output Level] setting.

I would assume that "compatible software" means just that -- any software that can interpret control vinyl. Unfortunately it seems that by "compatible software", they actually mean "only software we approve". There is no technical reason this doesn't work with Mixxx. Sorry for recommending this to you, but there is no way anyone could have anticipated this before someone tried it. It is just Pioneer trying to stifle competition. You could complain to Pioneer, but I wouldn't expect much from them other than a dismissal saying they only support Rekordbox. Hopefully the retail distributor you got it from will give you a refund.

I am not sure how this artificial limitation is imposed. I'd presume that Rekordbox sends a special signal to the driver or to the mixer to tell it to send the phono inputs to software. For someone experienced with analyzing USB traffic, I suspect it would be pretty easy to reverse engineer that and trick it into working with Mixxx or any other software.

I could get a refund (I still have a couple weeks left to return it). But I've tried the Rekordbox software, and it isn't bad (used it to mix my latest show). So I don't think there's a need to complain [to Pioneer]. To make up for your latest bust, Be. You should go through the manuals of all the built-in soundcard mixers (like ya did with the DJM 250 MKII, appreciate it) to see which ones don't have DVS restrictions (like the Xone 23C for starters - which comes with MixVibes). And/or we could ask the Mixxx community what built-in soundcard mixers they use with Mixxx.
Grogan

Postby jaymanu » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:14 am

Hello
I have a DJM-250 (old model), and I'm wondering what is the benefit of the MK2 over it ?

They added USB, and USB is giving 2 new options :

1/ Audio interface : As Pioneer hardware, I suppose that it will not be usable in linux (proprietary and not class-compliant)

2/ MIDI. I'm really wondering, what is the purpose of it ?
With a controller, you assign buttons to actions in mixxx. But what's the point of mapping actions to buttons which already DO SOMETHING on the mixer ? ie, the crossfader is already crossfading, why bothering with mapping it ? And suppose I map it, then it will control both the mixer and the software at the same time.
Is there a use-case for this ? Or it's just a marketing point ?

Thanks
jaymanu

Previous

Return to General Discussion