New idea on how to adjust pitch

General Mixxx discussion.... discuss

Moderator: garth

New idea on how to adjust pitch

Postby Mixxx MIxxxermannn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Ok, the idea came from the reality that I am using a less than ideal controller (mixtrack pro), where the pitch faders are too short to be of much use. The music I play has enough bpm range (105-135, and I try to play in in the low 120s) that I need a lot more pitch fader length to get things synced up. No problem, not limited to turntables, I press sync to get the tempo matched, but lots of the music, say disco and earlier house and techno with not so stable midi clocks, drifts in tempo a bit.

Normally, one could ride the pitch and make some platter adjustments to keep things going, but in my case, the range of the fader would be different for each track, and sadly even at +/-8 range far too little for smooth adjustment. Other users with longer faders but needing bigger ranges (+/-16+) might have similar issues.

So, my idea is to automatically set a short range of the pitch fader resolution and set the synced tempo value to the center of the fader value when one presses the sync button. If the tempo is synced, there isn't a whole lot of adjustment necessary, and the original track tempo is no longer relevant. One can now make micro adjustments and since the center value of the fader is the synced tempo, the fader does not need not to travel much through a pick-up value before actually adjusting. This would then also be useful for anyone using more decks, as every 4 channel controller still requires 2 decks to share transport sections.

Such a feature could lead controller development to use a touch strip instead of faders for pitch adjustment. I know some manufacturers have dabbled with variations, but in the case of novation and native, horizontal oriented controls are not what we've used for decades, aside from hiphop djs, who don't really need to blend mixes for very long
Mixxx MIxxxermannn

Re: New idea on how to adjust pitch

Postby bestdani » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:45 pm

As far as I understood, you are describing what I'm using for my "enhanced" Vestax Typhoon mapping (shown in this rather old demo video): https://vimeo.com/54558489#t=2m16s

So this is already possible using just a custom controller script, you can have a look at mine for example for inspiration to copy that part from the script (it's included in the mixxx releases already).
bestdani

Postby Mixxx MIxxxermannn » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:25 pm

Yes, that might work, thx. I've downloaded your script, but am new to mixxx scripting. Hopefully not too tricky!
Mixxx MIxxxermannn

Postby daschuer » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:52 pm

I have prepared a branch exactly for this issue.
https://github.com/mixxxdj/mixxx/pull/1767
It features a second "ultra-pitch" control, which is controlled with by the sync feature.
The pitch control on the controller always stays centered.

I am happy if one can test and review this branch or the
Prerequisite branch https://github.com/mixxxdj/mixxx/pull/1765
daschuer
Mixxx Developer

Return to General Discussion