Problem with compile etc. Hardy

Fixxx your Mixxx

Moderator: garth

Problem with compile etc. Hardy

Postby Nazoreth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi there

Well, after happily using beta2 from the aptitude repositories i tried to compile beta4........what can i say, endless failure -

Eventually i managed to get the scons command to complete, then i believe i tried scons install and that completed, opened mixxxbeta4 once and it was fine, closed it, reopened it again, now nothing.

If i run mixxx from konsole it gets the api device part, lists that it is trying to locate devices three times, then everything crashes (somewhat a rarity for me)

Anyways, ill try and post up the actual results from what happens when i run mixxx, but for the meantime can anyone help with getting the old version running again?

I've tried reinstalling mixxx from apt-get, that gave me the same results as above, then i tried purging mixxx and getting rid of mixxx from /share/mixxx and /local/share/mixxx, then when i reinstalled i get 'could not locate skins in /share/mixxx/skins'

im wondering if one of the MANY packages i installed to get scons to complete properly is inteferring, here is what i have installed today -

sudo apt-get install subversion
sudo apt-get install scons
sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev
sudo apt-get install libportaudio-dev
sudo apt-get install libjack-dev
sudo apt-get install libmad0-dev
sudo apt-get install libid3
sudo apt-get install libid3-dev
sudo apt-get install libmad
sudo apt-get install fftw-dev
sudo apt-get install fftw3
sudo apt-get install fftw3-dev
sudo apt-get install libogg-dev
sudo apt-get install libogg
sudo apt-get install libvorbis-dev
sudo apt-get install libvorbisfile
sudo apt-get install libvorbisfile3
sudo apt-get install libsndfile-dev
sudo apt-get install libid3-dev
sudo apt-get install libid3tag0
sudo apt-get install libid3tag0-dev
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
sudo apt-get install lsb-qt4
sudo apt-get install libqt4-opengl-dev
sudo apt-get install portaudio19-dev

i think thats it, i mite just run thru and remove all of those, since that seems to be the only way i can think of getting mixbeta2 back

this is what ive been trying to compile/run mixxx with -

cd mixxx-1.6.0~beta4/
sudo scons
sudo install
sudo scons install
sudo mixxx

any ideas? even where i can report this properly or a different forum i can look for help?

many thanks

G

edit - how can i remove all of the scons stuff etc.? can i just delete the folder thal i ran scons in and reinstall from apt repositories? thanks
Nazoreth

Re: Problem with compile etc. Hardy

Postby adam_d » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:51 pm

I see you installed ffmpeg, you probably don't want to be building with ffmpeg=1 if that's why you installed that, since that code is definitely broken.

Other than that you can try deleting your .mixxx.cfg and mixxxtrack.xml from your ~/.mixxx folder, that may help the issues with the old beta still not running.

Adam
adam_d
Mixxx Developer

Postby Nazoreth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:11 pm

adam_d wrote:I see you installed ffmpeg, you probably don't want to be building with ffmpeg=1 if that's why you installed that, since that code is definitely broken.

Other than that you can try deleting your .mixxx.cfg and mixxxtrack.xml from your ~/.mixxx folder, that may help the issues with the old beta still not running.

Adam

hmmm okay i've tried apt-get remove ffmpeg, that's fine, i ran sudo scons again, no problem there. tried scons install and get a permissions error, so sudo scons install - this ran fine, last 4 lines -

Install root: /usr/local
scons: done reading Sconscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
scons: 'install' is up to data.
scons: done building targets.

then i used sudo mixxx, it ran through a load of debugs and the last 4 lines -

debug selected api is alsa
sound manager get device list

then everything crashed, had to shutdown again

thank you so much for your response, hope that information is remotely useful. when i get home ill try deleting those bits. if i remember correctly when i reinstalled mixxx beta2 most recently it gave me an error about there not being skins in the mixxx/skins folder, which was a little odd.

thanks again

G
Nazoreth

Postby Nazoreth » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:40 pm

okay, i've got beta2 back and working fine, will just wait for next full upgrade or something

question tho -

ive moved my music folders about and so managed to create duplicates of all my tunes, half of which crash mixxx because they no longer exist, what do i need to delete to clear the whole library and start again? im aware that the newer versions are better for managing the library but how can i clear it in beta2?

many thanks for your help

G
Nazoreth

Postby adam_d » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi,

You need to delete .mixxxtrack.xml, which lives either in ~ or ~/.mixxx on linux, I forget. Just deleting the file is fine and Mixxx will rescan your library from scratch.

Adam
adam_d
Mixxx Developer

Postby Nazoreth » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:37 am

ahhh endless thanks
Nazoreth

Return to Troubleshooting & FAQ